[openssl-users] ca's config options -certs vs. -new_certs_dir

Nichols, Timothy (Checkpoint) Timothy.Nichols at va.gov
Wed Mar 8 20:57:28 UTC 2017

Hi, I am not understanding the point of the config file's mandatory default -new_certs_dir into which goes what appears to be a copy of the certificate I specifically locate elsewhere in the file system. I am using the -out option from the command line to generate the file named according to the convention I have chosen...and then in the new_certs directory is deposited the <hex>.pem file. Of course, I haven't found an explanation as to why this happens in the documentation or the Googlie.

Thanks,

Tim