[openssl-users] how to implement functions for STACK OF custom type?

lists lists at rustichelli.net
Tue Mar 21 06:35:51 UTC 2017

Sorry, I first posted this on the -dev list, likely inappropriate... now with an update:

I am exploring my options with OpenSSL and specifically I am trying to manage the stacks for some custom objects.
Currently, I have this code (sort of) in the headers:

typedef struct myThingA_st
{
     ASN1_OBJECT aID;
     ASN1_OCTET_STRING aOCST;
}
     myThingA;

DECLARE_ASN1_ITEM(myThingA)
DECLARE_ASN1_FUNCTIONS(myThingA)
DECLARE_STACK_OF(myThingA)
// the next one seems to be ininfluent for my purpose, is it?
DECLARE_ASN1_SET_OF(myThingA)

typedef struct myThingB_st
{
     // SEQUENCE OF { ... }
     STACK_OF(myThingA) myThingA_sk;
}
     myThingB;

// DECLARE_ASN1_ITEM(myThingB)
DECLARE_STACK_OF(myThingB)
// DECLARE_ASN1_FUNCTIONS(myThingB)
// the next one seems to be ininfluent for my purpose, is it?
DECLARE_ASN1_SET_OF(myThingB)

Then, in the .c file...

IMPLEMENT_STACK_OF(myThingA)
IMPLEMENT_STACK_OF(myThingB)

I thought that the basic functions for the stacks to be available (such as sk_myThingA_new, sk_myThingA_push...), yet by compiling a main, for
the first one that I try to use I get:

       undefined reference to `sk_myThingA_value'

What am I doing wrong here?