[openssl-users] OpenSSL sending close_notify right after responding to a heartbeat request

R Kaja Mohideen reachme at kajasweb.com
Fri Mar 24 13:40:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

We have a TLS Server (Written in C) and Client (Written in Java using
Netty + OpenSSL).

I see that when Server sends a TLS extension Heartbeat request to
client - OpenSSL responds to it and sends a close_notify alert right
after it - causing the server to close the session with client.

I don't have any callback registered in client (HB request recipient
side - Java/Netty doesn't really have that support) and so I'm sure
that it is OpenSSL by itself is responding to that heartbeat request.
But, who or what is making OpenSSL to send an alert & close the
session upon responding to heartbeat remains a mystery.

Any help / suggestions to investigate this issue is highly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
R Kaja Mohideen