[openssl-users] Query regarding MSG_NOSIGNAL with SSL_Write

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Wed May 3 16:09:49 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Michael Wojcik <
Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=Michael.Wojcik@microfocus.com>
> wrote:

It may be worth noting that nearly all well-written UNIX applications
> should set the disposition of SIGPIPE to SIG_IGN. SIGPIPE is a hack. It
> exists only to terminate poorly-written programs that could otherwise block
> a pipeline. See Bach, *The Design of the UNIX Operating System*; if
> memory serves, Bach quotes Dennis Ritchie on this point. SIGPIPE was
> introduced because some poorly-written programs did not check the return
> code from write.[1]

This is excellent advice. In principle, I am in complete agreement. We
should not write code that depends on this artifact. We should treat it as
deprecated.

However ... ;-)

It's probably also true that there is a lot of code that depends on it.
True to form for "deprecated"

- M

--
"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mahābhārata