[openssl-users] Regarding SSL_VERIFY_PEER

john gloster glosterj9 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 05:49:29 UTC 2017

Hi Victor and Michael,

Thanks for your respective response.

I need to make sure the following validation happens.

   - subject field in one certificate matches with the issuer field in the
   subsequent certificate
   - no duplicate certificate in the chain
   - basicConstraints : for CA certificate CA must be set to TRUE

                                 pathLenConstraints – checking as per
RFC5280; I want to check even to see no CA with pathLen set 0 is Issuer of
another CA certificate

   - validity period check
   - revocation status check
   - keyUsage : Eg. to make sure *keyCertSign *indicator set for the CA
   certificates in the chain
   - Criticality check
   - Signature validation

As per RFC5280, subjectKeyIdentifier and authorityKeyIdentifier matching is
not required to be done by application.
Section 4.2.1.2 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280#section-4.2.1.2>.

“Applications are not required to verify that key identifiers match when
performing

certification path validation.”

Is it possible to let me know what all from the BULLETED are validated at
OpenSSL level? We are using 1.0.2k

This helps in saving my time required for debugging.

Thanks,

John