[openssl-users] OpenSSL and RPATH's

Wouter Verhelst wouter.verhelst at fedict.be
Wed May 31 10:16:53 UTC 2017

On 30-05-17 18:12, PGNet Dev wrote:
[...]
> with lots of apps still not at all v110
> compatible, or at best broken in their attempts, having local builds of
> both v110x and v102x is extremely useful -- and RPATH'ing makes that
> trivially manageable.

That's exactly my point -- you don't need to use RPATH to handle that
(very common) case. You just need to link against the correct .so file
at compile time (which can be handled by installing them in separate
directories and using -L to specify which one to link to); the runtime
dynamic linker will then find a v1.1 version of OpenSSL for applications
compiled against 1.1.0x, or a v1.0.2 version for applications compiled
against 1.0.2x. It's that simple.

RPATH is useful if the SONAME is the same but the libraries aren't, for
whatever reason (e.g., local patches). Other than that, you don't need
it, and it's generally a bad idea.

--
Wouter Verhelst