[openssl-users] Help compiling on HPUX

Dan Freed dfreed at epic.com
Wed Nov 8 15:43:52 UTC 2017

Thanks!

I am compiling on Itanium (ia64).  I've not had these issues compiling OpenSSL 1.0.1 version, but this is the first time I'm attempting to move to the 1.1.0 version.

I'm attempting a no-asm compile right now, to see if I can get past the error.  Then I'll play the optimizations to see if I can get it to compile with the assembly optimizations or not.

-Dan

On 11/8/17, 7:33 AM, "openssl-users on behalf of Ludwig, Mark" <openssl-users-bounces at openssl.org on behalf of ludwig.mark at siemens.com> wrote:

    > From: Michael Wojcik, Wednesday, November 08, 2017 7:03 AM
    > To: openssl-users at openssl.org

    Dan, you did not specify the platform.  I have not built on RISC since OpenSSL 0.9.8.
    I have built OpenSSL 1.0.2k on Itanium as follows.  I mostly agree with Michael,
    but have not backed off optimization quite as far.  Note that my use cases do not
    include encrypting/decrypting large payloads, so can get away with reduced
    performance to get correct results (i.e., pass the tests).

    I had to edit util/selftest.pl for the compiler's identification output
    and because the ar(1) command will not accept /dev/null as an input file.

    I also eliminated a lot of the tests in test/cms-tests, because we do not use the
    modules being tested.  (They were failing.)  I can believe these might work with
    lower optimization such as Michael recommends.

    Below is the Configure output.  Hope this helps.

    Configuring for hpux64-ia64-cc
        no-asm          [option]   OPENSSL_NO_ASM
        no-dso          [option]
        no-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128 [default]  OPENSSL_NO_EC_NISTP_64_GCC_128 (skip dir)
        no-gmp          [default]  OPENSSL_NO_GMP (skip dir)
        no-jpake        [experimental] OPENSSL_NO_JPAKE (skip dir)
        no-krb5         [krb5-flavor not specified] OPENSSL_NO_KRB5
        no-libunbound   [experimental] OPENSSL_NO_LIBUNBOUND (skip dir)
        no-md2          [default]  OPENSSL_NO_MD2 (skip dir)
        no-rc5          [default]  OPENSSL_NO_RC5 (skip dir)
        no-rfc3779      [default]  OPENSSL_NO_RFC3779 (skip dir)
        no-sctp         [default]  OPENSSL_NO_SCTP (skip dir)
        no-ssl-trace    [default]  OPENSSL_NO_SSL_TRACE (skip dir)
        no-ssl2         [default]  OPENSSL_NO_SSL2 (skip dir)
        no-store        [experimental] OPENSSL_NO_STORE (skip dir)
        no-unit-test    [default]  OPENSSL_NO_UNIT_TEST (skip dir)
        no-weak-ssl-ciphers [default]  OPENSSL_NO_WEAK_SSL_CIPHERS (skip dir)
        no-zlib         [default]
        no-zlib-dynamic [default]
    IsMK1MF=0
    CC            =cc
    CFLAG         =+Z -DOPENSSL_PIC -DOPENSSL_THREADS  -Ae +DD64 +O3 +Olit=all -z -DB_ENDIAN -D_REENTRANT
    EX_LIBS       =-ldl
    CPUID_OBJ     =mem_clr.o
    BN_ASM        =bn_asm.o
    EC_ASM        =
    DES_ENC       =des_enc.o fcrypt_b.o
    AES_ENC       =aes_core.o aes_cbc.o
    BF_ENC        =bf_enc.o
    CAST_ENC      =c_enc.o
    RC4_ENC       =rc4_enc.o rc4_skey.o
    RC5_ENC       =rc5_enc.o
    MD5_OBJ_ASM   =
    SHA1_OBJ_ASM  =
    RMD160_OBJ_ASM=
    CMLL_ENC      =camellia.o cmll_misc.o cmll_cbc.o
    MODES_OBJ     =
    ENGINES_OBJ   =
    PROCESSOR     =
    RANLIB        =/usr/ccs/bin/ranlib