[openssl-users] API SSL_Connect fails and always returns SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ causes infinite loop in application

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Tue Nov 14 10:31:29 UTC 2017

On 14 Nov 2017, at 12:00 PM, mahesh gs <mahesh116 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have application that provide DTLS security for SCTP connections. During our testing we found that API "SSL_connect " fail and always returns SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ which causes infinite loop in the application.

Are you properly handling that SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ, or are you ignoring it?

The message isn’t an error (the symbol was misnamed), it just means openssl is asking you permission to read. If your code is saying "yes openssl you may read" when you actually aren’t ready you’ll end up in an infinite loop.

Regards,
Graham
—