[openssl-users] Loading RSA private key from ENGINE

Ignacio Alamo Corsino nacao2001 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:18:42 UTC 2017

Hello Fabrizio,

actually the whole private key and all its components are not loaded with ENGINE_load_private_key. Only a part of them (modulus and public exponent).

These components are enough to, for example, make a key/certificate match verification.

Once a private key operation is needed (ex. signature) then your custom RSA method will be called because the key that you have previously loaded

is not able to perform that kind of operations. Depending on how you have written your method, one function or another will be called (rsa_sign or RSA_private_encrypt).

If you have loaded your engine correctly, the SSL methods will know when to call your rsa methods to perform their operations.

Regards,

Ignacio