[openssl-users] fips_premain.c multiple definition of main

Karyn Ulriksen Karyn.Ulriksen at riverbed.com
Fri Nov 17 21:23:05 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I'm trying to cross compile for linux64 on Mips64 with FIPS and OpenSSL.   It hasn't been easy!  I know that MIPS isn't officially supportive, but we have been getting private validations in the past and plan to revisit that with this upgrade.

My current blocking point is that when building the openssl libraries, I'm getting hung up on the build reporting that fips_premain.c has multiple definitions of main. This happens regardless of which combos of MTYPE I declare for my make.  I've tried the linux-generic and various mips for linux and irix MTYPES.

My build machine info:

Linux  4.4.0-98-generic #121-Ubuntu SMP  x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My Target machine and toolchain info:

gcc version 4.7.0 (Cavium Inc. Version: SDK_BUILD build 45)

Linux 3.10.20 #1 SMP mips64 GNU/Linux

Openssl versions:

openssl-fips 2.0.16

openssl 1.0.1m

The specific error on building openssl:

/tmp/ccdtHgwu.o: In function `main':
fips_premain.c:(.text.startup+0x0): multiple definition of `main'
/tmp/cc2MrZWZ.o:fips_premain.c:(.text.startup+0x0): first defined here