[openssl-users] RSA-PSS Certificate

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Thu Oct 26 01:48:56 UTC 2017

On 26/10/2017 03:30, Steven Madwin via openssl-users wrote:

> Starting with the definition of the subjectPublicKeyInfo from RFC
> 5280, Section 4.1 – Basic Certificate fields we see that the entry
> contains two items:
>
> SubjectPublicKeyInfo ::= SEQUENCE {
>
> algorithm AlgorithmIdentifier,
>
> subjectPublicKey BIT STRING }
>
> In RFC 4055 - Additional Algorithms and Identifiers for RSA
> Cryptography for use in the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
> Certificate and Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile, Section 3
> it states, “CAs that use the RSASSA-PSS algorithm for signing
> certificates SHOULD include RSASSA-PSS-params in the
> subjectPublicKeyInfo algorithm parameters in their own certificates.”
>
> This all leads to me wondering if anyone is aware if there is a plan
> afoot to add the option of including the RSA-PSS params as a third
> item in the Subject Public Key Info entry in a future version of OpenSSL?

In the X.509 standard, "AlgorithmIdentifier" is itself a structure (see
for example RFC5280 section 4.1.1.2).  The RSASSA-PSS-params is the
second element of that structure.  See RFC4055 section 6 for some (bad)
examples of AlgorithmIdentifier values, such as

rSASSA-PSS-SHA512-Identifier  AlgorithmIdentifier  ::=  {
                               algorithm id-RSASSA-PSS,
                               parameters rSSASSA-PSS-SHA512-params }

rSSASSA-PSS-SHA512-params RSASSA-PSS-params ::= {
                               hashAlgorithm sha512Identifier,
                               maskGenAlgorithm mgf1SHA512Identifier,
                               saltLength 20,
                               trailerField 1  }

-- Note: The saltLength should be 64, not 20, for
--    rSSASSA-PSS-SHA512-param, see RFC4055 section 3.1

Enjoy

Jakob