[openssl-users] Issue with DTLS for UDP

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu Oct 26 15:53:32 UTC 2017

On 26/10/17 16:43, Grace Priscilla Jero wrote:
> Thankyou for the responses.
> We figured the issue. But now we are getting error -5 from "SSL_connect"
> and the errno is set to 22 which means invalid argument.
> Is there a easy way to debug or get logs for SSL_connect.
>
> Below is the sequence for the dtls udp connect that we are trying.
> ssl = SSL_new(ctx)
> bio = BIO_new_dgram(sock_id,BIO_NOCLOSE)
> SSL_set_bio(ssl, bio, bio);
> VI_res = SSL_connect(ssl)

Do you really mean SSL_connect() returns -5? Or do you mean that after a
negative return value from SSL_connect() you call SSL_get_error() and
that return 5 (SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL)?

If you really mean SSL_connect() returns -5 then you need to call
SSL_get_error() as a next step.

If you are getting SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL then my guess is that there is a
problem with sock_id. How do create it?

Matt