[openssl-users] OpenSSL engine and TPM usage.

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Thu Oct 26 20:34:51 UTC 2017

Specifically, it's devices using Infineon chips. AIUI, that includes most TPMs and many HSMs, but not, for example, the NitroKey HSM.

The researchers who documented the problem, which they've named ROCA, have a site for it:
https://crocs.fi.muni.cz/public/papers/rsa_ccs17

They aren't describing the exact nature of the issue yet (at least the last I checked), but it has something to do with the RSA primes having a structure that lets attackers greatly speed factoring. I can imagine a number of optimizations if you know enough about the structure of the primes.

They've provided a Python program that can identify problematic keys with high probability, and it's available as a web service, etc. The program doesn't reveal what the mystery structural issues are; it seems to be a Bloom filter that's been trained to identify vulnerable keys (which is pretty interesting in itself).

All that's just based on a pretty cursory look, though, so I may be wrong.

Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus