[openssl-users] DH_generate_key Hangs

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Wed Sep 27 18:02:24 UTC 2017

The issue is running OpenSSL 0.9.8, which has not been supported since 2015.

DH_generate_key can use an engine (at least in supported versions of OpenSSL - I no longer have any 0.9.8 code around to check), so we really can't say what it might be doing in your application. But if it's using the default OpenSSL implementation, then if your DH parameters don't already include a private key, you'll end up generating random numbers. That can hang, if OpenSSL is using a blocking CPRNG source such as /dev/random.

But you haven't provided nearly enough information to do more than speculate.

What you need to do:

1. Upgrade to OpenSSL 1.0.2 (or possibly 1.1.0, but that has API changes and isn't an LTS release). There's really no point in proceeding unless you do so. Your application is broken if it's using 0.9.8.

2. If the problem still occurs, debug a hanging instance and find out where *exactly* it's hung.

--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus