[openssl-users] Query regarding the SCTP events for DTLS connections

mahesh gs mahesh116 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 18:36:30 UTC 2017

Hi,

We have an application which has SCTP connections we have secured the SCTP
connections using the openssl DTLS. DTLS is working as expected other than
the SCTP events.

We use the API "BIO_new_dgram_sctp" to create a BIO objects and we register
a callback function to openssl using API "BIO_dgram_sctp_notification_cb"
to populate the SCTP events. I observe that openssl enables only
authentication related events, do not enable any other events like
association, shutdown etc.

Code snippet from the API "BIO_new_dgram_sctp":

    event.sctp_authentication_event = 1;

    ret =
        setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_SCTP, SCTP_EVENTS, &event,
                   sizeof(struct sctp_event_subscribe));
    if (ret < 0) {
        BIO_vfree(bio);
        return (NULL);
    }

Is there any specific reason for just enabling the authentication events ?

If yes, is there any way applications register for other events like
shutdown, association etc. We have a requirement where based on the SCTP
events application executes certain business logic.

Thanks,
Mahesh G S