[openssl-users] PKCS7 and RSA_verify

Sam Roberts vieuxtech at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 23:27:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 2:28 AM, ch <ch at coderhacks.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I thought the difference between PEM and DER is NOT ONLY a different
> encoding of the string?
> base64 vs. binary
>
> So to understand that clear please let me ask:
> If I convert a PEM-signature from base64 to binary then it is DER?

Yes. Well, technically it could be BER as well, but the main point is
PEM is just a wrapper to transport binary via email safe text, and you
can unwrap it if you want. PEM also includes a header, so you know if
the object is a cert, a key, an encrypted message, etc, meta-data
which is not known if you just have the binary chunk.