[openssl-users] SSL_CTX_set_tlsext_ticket_key_cb - creating a valid ctx and hmac ctx in callback.

Henderson, Karl KHenderson at verisign.com
Wed Apr 4 11:44:57 UTC 2018

Thanks for the response - yes, I do understand I'm re-purposing this mechanism in a creative way. At this time, it's just for experimental purposes.

On 4/3/18, 5:34 PM, "Viktor Dukhovni" <viktor at dukhovni.org> wrote:

    > On Apr 3, 2018, at 11:00 AM, Henderson, Karl via openssl-users <openssl-users at openssl.org> wrote:
    >
    > I know there may be a million reasons people can tell me not to do this, but for some dome code, I need to have a client contact a server with an RFC5077 ticket (not one previously sent from the server) with a propriety payload in the IV. I’d like to use the key_name in the ticket to get a key. And then I’d like to use this and create a valid context and hmac so that I can have a 0-RTT startup.

    This is too sketchy to provide a meaningful response.  Session tickets are a mechanism for a server to *export* its session state to clients, allowing the server to do stateless session resumption.  They are not a mechanism for anything else, and other uses are likely to be fragile, and possibly insecure.  Too much creativity here is risky.

    > Are there any good examples on how this might be done?

    Probably not.

    --
    	Viktor.