[openssl-users] [External] Re: Correct the check of RSA_FLAG_SIGN_VER

Eichenberger, John John.Eichenberger at Honeywell.com
Fri Apr 6 16:41:27 UTC 2018

Knowing now that RSA_new_method() copies the RSA_METHOD flags field to the RSA flags field I modified my instance of wpa_supplicant such that it works even without changing OpenSSL.
However, I still say that this is a bug with OpenSSL.  Let me tell you the short story that leads me to that conclusion.

wpa_supplicant has a bit of code that
1.  Allocates and defines a RSA_METHOD structure.
2. calls RSA_new();
3. calls RSA_set_method().

In that code the rsa_sign and rsa_verify members of the RSA_METHOD structure are not defined, thus making it compatible with the really old versions of OpenSSL.
But I need to change that and use the rsa_sign method, so I set the RSA_FLAG_SIGN_VER bit of the RSA_METHOD structure to indicate that I need to use that.
But my rsa_sign method was never called.

My "fix" is to set that same bit in the RSA flags field before calling RSA_set_method.
	rsa->flags |= RSA_FLAG_SIGN_VER;

But shouldn't OpenSSL work without me having to do that?
Perhaps RSA_set_method() should also copy the flags field to match what RSA_new_method does?

Either that, or the meth->flags field should be tested.
Which is it?

-Ike-
  John Eichenberger
Intermec by Honeywell
Principal Engineer: Sustaining Engineering
425.921.4507