[openssl-users] What does this error mean?

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Mon Apr 16 18:38:03 UTC 2018

The server is rejecting the connection because it doesn't like the SSL/TLS version range that wget is offering. Anything prior to TLSv1.1 suffers from vulnerabilities that can be exploited under practical conditions, so many servers reject older protocol versions.

You don't have to upgrade the OS to put a newer version of OpenSSL on, though you may have to build OpenSSL yourself.