[openssl-users] Shutdown details

Alex H alexhultman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 06:27:38 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have trouble understanding the details of TLS shutdown. I get the basics
but,

Is it possible to receive data after calling SSL_shutdown? Reading the
specs and docs leaves this rather blurry.

That is, after sending a close_notify, can I receive data before getting my
client_notify response?

The sources of SSL_write checks for SSL_SENT_SHUTDOWN state and returns
with error if set, but does not check for SSL_RECEIVED_SHUTDOWN. This
indicates somehow I'm allowed to still send data after received a
close_notify?