[openssl-users] openssl cms -decrypt failing due to malloc(3) failure

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Wed Aug 1 13:31:26 UTC 2018

And thus falling foul of Moxie Marlinspike's Cryptographic Doom Principle: If you don't verify integrity first, sooner or later you'll be in trouble.

While CMS has been updated, its roots are long - PKCS#7 is 20 years old, after all, and RFC 5652 is nearing the end of its first decade. Back then, deferring the integrity check to the end wasn't seen as a problem. Today we know better - which is why many people prefer AEAD modes.

CMS with an AEAD mode (such as AES128-GCM) ought to avoid the integrity-protection issue for the encrypted content, but not for the other parts of the message, I assume. (I'm no CMS expert so I may be missing something there.) And, of course, both sender and recipient would have to support that algorithm.

--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus