[openssl-users] EDDSA test results

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Aug 10 20:44:26 UTC 2018

I have followed the procedure I made for ECDSA certs in:

draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki (an update is pending on typos I encountered
in this run through)

But making ED25519 certs instead.

Other than obvious changes (e.g. -algorithm ed25519) and hash
specification, I was successful.

My testing was done on a Fedora-armhfp-28-beta system providing openssl:

OpenSSL 1.1.1-pre8 (beta) FIPS 20 Jun 2018

I am going to assume that PR6901 will go into the next beta and I can
drop the '-md null' from some command lines and do not have to make
special .cnf files without md_default lines.

I will test this on the next beta to be sure (trust, but verify!)

Remaining to do:

Using the tree command, here are some certificate size comparisons

                       ECDSA     ED25519

Root cert               826         737

Intermedicate CA cert   806         721

Client cert             944         834