[openssl-users] Self-signed error when using SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations CApath

Charles Mills charlesm at mcn.org
Sat Dec 1 20:29:42 UTC 2018

I could easily be wrong -- you guys know more about certificates than I ever
will -- but I do not *think* there is any self-signed certificate in this
scenario. There should be exactly two certificates in this discussion:

1. The client certificate. It is not self-signed (in the correct sense of
the term, as opposed to the erroneous popular sense): it is signed by my
"in-house" CA.

2. The CA certificate. Yes, it is a root and self-signed, but you didn't
find it, right? (Because of my error in not running the hash utility.) If
you found it what is the problem? Does the hashing process imply trust? Then
the error message should be "untrusted CA certificate," no? (There is only
one certificate in the CApath folder.)

Am I missing something?

Charles