[openssl-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Self-signed error when using SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations CApath

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Mon Dec 3 18:57:58 UTC 2018

If I were ever to write a book about OpenSSL, "a great product but a little mystifying" would be an appropriate epigraph. Maybe Ivan should use it for the next edition of his OpenSSL Cookbook. (Recommended, by the way, or its larger sibling Bulletproof TLS; find them at feistyduck.com.)

Not that it hasn't gotten better over the years: better encapsulation and abstraction, a lot more convenience functionality, a lot more explanation and samples on the OpenSSL wiki (which I think didn't even exist when I first started using OpenSSL). I have great appreciation for the team's efforts. But SSL/TLS is a great big ball of hair to begin with, and while I have tremendous respect for Eric Young, Steven Hensen, and the rest of the original contributors, the OpenSSL source is not exactly a monument to readability. (Though even in the early versions there were some important steps in that direction, like mostly consistent, safe naming conventions for external identifiers, thank goodness.)

--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus