[openssl-users] A script for hybrid encryption with openssl

Nick oinksocket at letterboxes.org
Mon Dec 17 15:21:11 UTC 2018

Hello,

I've written a script to try and work around openssl's lack of a way to encrypt
large files with public key or hybrid cryptography.  I gather SMIME works for
files < ~ 2.5GB but the current implementation cannot decrypt files larger than
this.

My use case is automated server back-ups, for which I need to back up
arbitrarily large files and copy the result to S3 for storage, but I don't want
to store a decryption key on the server. I contemplated splitting the archives,
except this seemed about as much work as writing something which stored an
encrypted one-time password with the payload and using symmetric encryption.

As I'm not really a crypto/security expert, I thought I'd post it here and ask
for some feedback on it.

https://github.com/wu-lee/hencrypt

Thanks!

Nick