[openssl-users] Subject CN and SANs

Walter H. Walter.H at mathemainzel.info
Sun Dec 23 11:53:26 UTC 2018

I tried the following

the certificate had a CN of    test.example.com   and in subjectAltNames
dNS were
test.example.com  and test.example.net

when the Apache ServerName is   test.example.net  I get this warning

[Sun Dec 23 12:45:03 2018] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)
`test.example.com' does NOT match server name!?

so the CN matters ...

so the server behavior is something different to the behavior of the
client ...

Walter