[openssl-users] PerlASM for x64

Gisle Vanem gisle.vanem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 12:17:51 UTC 2018

Richard Levitte wrote:

>> I experimented some more. I figured the "auto" does not work.
>> But this works:
>>    perl crypto\aes\asm\aesni-x86_64.pl nasm > tmp-file.s
>>    diff tmp-file.s crypto\aes\aesni-x86_64.asm
>>
>> No diffs.
>>
>> Why does the the generation of .asm-files be so damn hard to
>> figure out? Some cmd-line help to show what "auto" does would
>> be nice.
>
> The "auto" flavor takes note of the output file extension.  .asm vs .s
> in this case.

Thank, but it was a typo in my 1st email. The correct command was
with a redirect:
   set ASM=nasm
   f:\util\StrawberryPerl\perl\bin\perl crypto\aes\asm\aesni-x86_64.pl auto > tmp-file.s

Still the "auto" forces GNU-asm syntax with 'ASM=nasm'.
I can only conclude the '$ASM' does nothing and only helps obfuscate
things further. This works fine:
   set ASM=
   f:\util\StrawberryPerl\perl\bin\perl crypto\aes\asm\aesni-x86_64.pl nasm > tmp-file.s

--
--gv