[openssl-users] moving from PKCS7 to CMS functions

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Dec 24 17:49:38 UTC 2018

I am implementing a module for ruby-openssl to add CMS API access to ruby.
(Once I figure it out, I will likely look at how to refactor PKCS7 API code,
but I don't care about that yet)

PKCS7 has the PKCS7_SIGNER_INFO object, and it is declared in pkcs7.h with
DECLARE_ASN1_FUNCTIONS().

CMS has the CMS_SignerInfo object, but it is not declared in cms.h, and so
has no _alloc/_free API.

Is this an oversight?
Or is there a some difference in the API which I have yet to understand which
would mean that CMS_SignerInfo objects would never be allocated/freed.

(I found it surprising that DECLARE_ASN1_FUNCTIONS() was in the X509_dup.pod
file)