[openssl-users] openssl 1.1.1 manuals

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu Dec 27 19:08:46 UTC 2018

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre <Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com> wrote:
    >> Generally I find everything I need in the source tarball and after the
    >> install is done everything anyone could want is installed on the
    >> system.  As for 'sidenav' that sounds like someone actually has to go
    >> tweak stuff manually on some website. Sadly. Anyways, the source
    >> tarballs have everything that is for certain. A lot of symlinks to be
    >> sure.
    >>
    >> Dennis

    > All supported manual page versions are publicly available from this
    > site here.  https://www.openssl.org/docs/manpages.html

The listings like:

    https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.1/man3/

are basically useless for navigation.

Particularly if you don't know exactly what one is looking for...
{ There is something amiss with BIO_addr_rawaddress... it's shift right.
  I don't see a problem in the HTML source though.. }

Sure, google will find some things, but usually it's the wrong version, and
one has to guess what the URL for the most recent one is.

At which point, like Dennis Clarke suggests, might as well grep the POD files
in the source code.  This is not terribly effective to find information
about how to manipulate particular object types.

(I have started writing an index by object type for my own use, but I doubt
I'll get very far)