[openssl-users] Custom X509_LOOKUP_METHOD in OpenSSL 1.1

Remy Lebeau remy at lebeausoftware.org
Thu Feb 8 02:06:50 UTC 2018

I would definitely need something like this.  I have some library code
that uses OpenSSL 1.0.2 (can't upgrade to 1.1.x yet because of all the
interface changes), and it currently has to use a custom
X509_LOOKUP_METHOD to handle Unicode filenames on Windows (in fact, this
library had to completely replace several OpenSSL functions in order to
work with Unicode filenames for things like certificate files, key
files, etc).

It would be REALLY REALLY nice if OpenSSL worked with Unicode
filenames/paths consistently on Windows!  BIO functions like
BIO_new_file(), BIO_read_filename(), etc do support UTF-8 encoded
filenames on Windows, but not all SSL functions use BIOs to access
files/directories, so UTF-8 filenames/paths are only supported
consistently on POSIX platforms whose file/directory APIs accept UTF-8
encoded strings.  Windows does not support that, filenames/paths must be
encoded in ANSI or UTF-16 only.

What is OpenSSL's current status regarding this?

Remy Lebeau
Lebeau Software