[openssl-users] OPENSSL_USE_IPV6 -- bio_dgram, vs travis-ci

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu Feb 8 16:25:00 UTC 2018

Richard Levitte <levitte at openssl.org> wrote:
    > It's defined to be 0 or 1 in include/internal/sockets.h, here are the
    > relevant lines:

yeah, my eyes missed that in the grep output.
I saw no place in Configurations/ where it was either set or not set.

    mcr> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/3302
    mcr>
    mcr> You can't even bind ::1 on travis.  I hate this jurassic stuff.

    > OK, so here's another possibility...  if you don't want to use IPv6,
    > then don't use it!  From an OpenSSL perspective, there are many

Uhm. The point is that my regression test will fail on travis-ci if I try to
test the IPv6 pathways, because you can't bind even ::1 on Travis-ci.

I've done a different hack which is probably equally stupid, which is to put
        - TRAVISCI_NO_IPV6=true

into .travis.yml and test for it in the regression test.  At least that means
that travis will *compile* the code, and we'll know if the IPv6 code fails to
compile at some point, even if we can't run it on travis.

{I should probably have made this a github issue... but... web browsers...}