[openssl-users] error (openssl-1.1.0g)

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu Feb 15 11:21:59 UTC 2018

On 15/02/18 08:52, Sakuma, Koshiro wrote:
> Hi, Rich,
>
> Here is the result.  However, I tried to do the "config" with normal
> user and I got an error like you don't have permission.
> You have any ideas??
>
> #   Failed test 'Testing that we aren't running as a privileged user,
> such as root'

So this confirms that the issue is due to you running the test as root.

You have a few options:

1) Ignore this test failure. If this is the only test failure showing up
then it is harmless. It is a known issue in the test code (not in
OpenSSL itself)

2) Don't build as root. The build process doesn't need any special
privileges, other than obviously it needs to be able to read the source
files and write out object, executables, libraries etc. If you are
building as a user other than root make sure all the source files and
directories are owned by that user (or at least that the user has the
appropriate privs for read/write). You will probably still need to be
root to do the final "make install".

3) If you must build as root, and don't want to just ignore the failure
then you can apply the patch available here:
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/5184/files

I'd go with option 1.

Matt