[openssl-users] Combining certificate and key in PEM format into a P12 file without knowing the key password?

Tobias Dussa (SCC) tobias.dussa at kit.edu
Tue Feb 20 12:15:40 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:23:14PM +0100, Jakob Bohm wrote:
> >Googling does not reveal much useful information, unfortunately, and so far we
> >have been unsuccessfully diving into PKCS12/8/5 specs.  I don't really see a
> >reason why it should not be possible, but of course that doesn't mean it is. :)
> In the commonly accepted variants of PKCS#12, private key and all the
> certificates are encrypted with the same password.  PKCS#12 with
> different password for private key and certificates is not widely
> supported.

I see.

> In the concatenated PEM format, only the private key is encrypted, but
> not the certificates.

Yep.

> So to convert from concatenated PEM format to PKCS#12, even if the
> encrypted private key could be kept without decrypting the private
> key, the password for the private key is still needed to encrypt
> the certificates with the same password.

... iff you need to retain wide-spread compatibility.  So if that is not
necessary, the question remains: Is there a way to reuse an already-encrypted
privkey?

THX & Cheers,
Toby.
--
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said,
but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.