[openssl-users] 1.1.1 pre1 tests failing on Solaris SPARC

Andy Polyakov appro at openssl.org
Wed Feb 21 20:46:22 UTC 2018

> So really we could do all manner of nasty things here and watch all
> manner of performance results and cool coredumps and it would be fun to
> try.  However the option -xmemalign=8s will enforce "There should be no
> misaligned accesses in the program".

And "the default for all v9 architectures is -xmemalign=8s". Other
values are effectively for those who are lazy enough to fix broken code
taken from x86[_64]. Values other than 8s are also kind of "whole
application" things, i.e. it would be inappropriate to compile a
*library* [such as OpenSSL] with any other flag than -xmemalign=8s.
Which is why it *is* the default, has to be, so you don't have to
actually specify it. In other words assertion that not specifying
-xmemalign=8s is somehow wrong is not actually substantiated. Not
specifying it is perfectly appropriate. On related note OpenSSL is
periodically tested on RISC platforms and misalignment issues get ironed
out in time. [That's why I wondered how come it went unnoticed so far.]

Just in case for reference, default for 32-bit code is 8i. I assume that
it implies 4s, which would be consistent with expected RISC behaviour,
i.e. SIGBUS on register-sized loads/stores. Though there is ambiguity.
One would expect SIGBUG on double-precision floating point load/store
even on 32-bit system. So does 8i mean that it would actually tolerate
misaligned doubles?