[openssl-users] Is EVP_BytesToKey() still recommended ?

pratyush parimal pratyush.parimal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 01:15:33 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a way to convert a string password to an AES-256
encryption key. I came across EVP_BytesToKey(), but the man-page says at
the end:

"Newer applications should use a more modern algorithm such as PBKDF2 as
defined in PKCS#5v2.1 and provided by PKCS5_PBKDF2_HMAC".

Does this mean I shouldn't use EVP_BytesToKey(), and should instead find
out how to use PBKDF2 ? Or do I need to find out how to get EVP_BytesToKey()
to use PBKDF2?

Any clarifications will be appreciated!
-Pratyush.