[openssl-users] Programmatically check private key and public key cert?

pratyush parimal pratyush.parimal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 15:28:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

Hope everyone is having a good new year so far!

I'm trying to find a way to make sure that a private-key/public-key-cert
pair I'm given, will absolutely work when I stick  them into my SSL_CTX*
object and try to use that for ssl. Short of trying to simulate a test ssl
connection over localhost for testing them out, is there a way to ensure
that?

After googling, it seems that I may be able to verify that by comparing the
modulus from the key and the cert. Does anyone know if that's sufficient,
and how to do it programmatically?

I was also wondering if I should just try to perform an encrypt-decrypt
sequence using the pair I have, and use the success of that as confirmation
that my ssl connection will work later, as far as the certs are concerned.
Would that be the right way to go about it?

What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!
- Pratyush