[openssl-users] SSL Cert serial number non-uniqueness impact

pratyush parimal pratyush.parimal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 11:07:04 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I read  from several sources that the serial number of a cert MUST be
unique within a CA. But could someone explain what would happen if the
serial number was not unique?

Would it cause SSL connections to fail in some manner? I think I'm a little
unclear about the "purpose" of the serial number in the first place. Is it
just something the CA uses to keep track of what/how many certificates it
has issued, or does it play a part in the SSL connection itself?

Thanks in advance!
Pratyush