[openssl-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: OpenSSL error message when decrypting Ethereum encrypted private key

Sands, Daniel dnsands at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 15 18:29:17 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-01-14 at 18:26 -0500, Chris B wrote:
Hi Matt,

>If you *are* using 1.1.0 then the default digest was changed between 1.0.2 and 1.1.0.
Awesome thought, but I'm also using 1.0.2:

$ openssl version

OpenSSL 1.0.2k-fips  26 Jan 2017

(I also tried adding -md md5 to the previous command, but I got the same error message).

Option #1 from the possibilities you mentioned below seems to be the most logical to me. If you use the wrong key, the padding data in the last block will also be decrypted to the wrong values, so the padding block check will fail. The padding is a necessary part of decryption because it needs to know how much plaintext is actually represented by that last block.