[openssl-users] TLS Error in FreeRadius - eap_tls: ERROR: Failed in __FUNCTION__ (SSL_read): error:1417C086:SSL routines:tls_process_client_certificate:certificate verify failed

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 06:47:29 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:44 AM, Gladewitz, Robert via openssl-users
<openssl-users at openssl.org> wrote:

> Thank you all for all the answers.
> The problem is that Cisco prescribes the attributes.
>
> Unfortunately, the Cisco CUCM telephone systems do not seem to accept certificates without these attributes :-(.
>
> If I understand everything correctly, would the only (and unclean) workaround be adding "TLS Web Client Authentication" to solve my problem?

I think you have a couple of choices.

First, you can downgrade to a version of OpenSSL that follows the RFC.
Second, you can patch OpenSSL to follow the RFC. Third, you can
implement the verify_callback and override the errant behavior.

Jeff