[openssl-users] Correct way to free SSL_CTX* ?

murugesh pitchaiah murugesh.pitchaiah at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 06:14:37 UTC 2018

Hi Pratyush,

Whenever you set a certificate to CTX, the reference count will get incremented:

CRYPTO_add(&x->references, 1, CRYPTO_LOCK_X509);

In addition, inside your application any usage of a certificate may
cause this reference count to be incremented.

As you can seen in man page - one call to ctx free will just decrement
the reference count by one. Only the count is 0, it starts freeing
whole memory. So you need to watch for these reference counts, to
avoid leak. Also when you fix leak properly hope the back trace should
be gone.

X509_free - can also be used to decrement the reference count.

Regards,
Murugesh P.