[openssl-users] Advantech openssl compatibility issue

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Wed Jun 13 16:31:33 UTC 2018

The OpenSSL changelog describes the high-level differences between each pair of consecutive versions.

For details, you'll need to look at the git history, or extract the sources and diff them. In this case, you're probably only interested in the differences in libcrypto, so diffing the crypto source trees is probably sufficient. (It might be elsewhere, but that's the place to start.)

It'd be faster, though, to debug the openssl s_client run and see where the exception is being thrown. It's a c0000005 - an addressing violation - so there's a decent chance that it's raised in or near (in terms of stack frames) where the actual cause exists in the code.  (Addressing violations are synchronous exceptions caused by invoking undefined behavior, so they *can* have remote causes, such as earlier heap corruption, but there's a decent probability of hitting the exception soon after generating the invalid address.) You'll need symbol (PDB) files to get much useful information, but if you're building OpenSSL you can easily arrange for those.

Of course there are other possibilities, such as changes to the build flags between the two versions. And I haven't looked to see whether the OpenSSL sources for 1.0.2h or 1.0.2i include Atom assembly modules; that would be something else to check.
--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus