[openssl-users] FIPS 140-2 key wrapping transition

Zeke Evans Zeke.Evans at microfocus.com
Thu Mar 1 23:28:09 UTC 2018

I am trying to understand how validation #1747 is affected by the key wrapping transition.  As far as I can tell, the FIPS module does not contain a key wrapping algorithm per se but only provides approved methods that a key wrapping algorithm could use.

Does FIPS 2.0 contain approved methods in order to implement a key wrapping algorithm compliant with SP 800-38f?  Is FIPS_evp_des_ede3_cbc not sufficient?

If not, why would the absence of that push validation #1747 to the Historical list?  I am not seeing a claim the key wrapping is covered in validation #1747 or any code inside the module that implements something that is now deprecated.

Is it at all possible to implement a compliant key wrapping method in the FIPS capable code using approved methods?  I realize if this was possible it probably would have been done already.  I am just hoping to understand the issues surrounding this.

Thanks for your help!

Zeke Evans
Senior Software Engineer
Micro Focus