[openssl-users] get type of PEM data

Jordan Brown openssl at jordan.maileater.net
Wed Mar 28 15:02:37 UTC 2018

I'm finding that it would be helpful to have a function that would,
given PEM data (in memory or in a file) return an indication of what
kind of object it represents:  a certificate, a private key, et cetera.
The ideal function would basically tell me which PEM_read_bio_foobar
function I would use to read the PEM data (and thus what C type it
represents).  It would lump all private key formats into one type, since
PEM_read_PrivateKey would work on all of them and return an EVP_PKEY.

Does such a function already exist?  Any thoughts?

--
Jordan Brown, Oracle Solaris