[openssl-users] OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER representation

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Wed May 2 12:19:40 UTC 2018

The latest documentation for OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER at
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/crypto/OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER.html
says that it is 9 hex digits, with the last nibble being a status
identifier, while every use I have seen of it in header files treats it
as 8 hex digits. Can anybody straighten me out on this ?

Also the latest documentation give it as

MNNFFPPS: major minor fix patch status

where the examples in that documentation clearly show it as

MMNNFFPPS: major minor fix patch status

Can anybody straighten me out on this ?

I would like to use the OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER at compile time to choose
between functionality for version 1.1.0 and version 1.0.x but the
confusion in my mind of how OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER actually is specified
is making that impossible.