[openssl-users] Unable to install OpenSSL

Jeremy Farrell jeremy.farrell at oracle.com
Sat May 5 18:29:28 UTC 2018

On 04/05/2018 01:16, Lunessia wrote:
> I've been having various troubles with installing and compiling OpenSSL.
> I started with 1.1.1-pre6, and my Perl client will tell me that I
> don't have NASM even if I have it installed (If I use VC-WIN64A)

Is NASM on your execution path? If not, try with it added to the path.

> or output "If you want to report a building issue, please include the
> output from this command: Perl configdata.pl <http://configdata.pm>
> --dump" when I use VC-WIN64I

As others have pointed out, that would configure to build for Itanium
which you don't want to do - VC-WIN64A is the one you want for x64.

> With 1.0.2o, Perl compiles the program, but however, I can't use Dmake
> to compile it, as Dmake will state:
>
> "dmake.exe:  makefile:  line 275:  Warning: -- Found non-white space
> character after '[' in [@[ -n "$(THIS)" ] && $(CLEARENV) && $(MAKE)
> $(THIS) -e $(BUILDENV)].
> dmake.exe:  makefile:  line 307:  Warning: -- Found non-white space
> character after '[' in [[ -z "$(FIPSCANLIB)" ] || $(CC) $(CFLAG)
> -Iinclude \
>                 -DFINGERPRINT_PREMAIN_DSO_LOAD -o $@  \
>                 $(FIPSLIBDIR)fips_premain.c $(FIPSLIBDIR)fipscanister.o \
>                 libcrypto.a $(EX_LIBS)].
> dmake.exe:  makefile:  line 307:  Error: -- New group recipe begin
> found within group recipe."

I don't know anything about dmake, but this suggests it's not close
enough to the expected version of make. I wouldn't be surprised if the
VC builds effectively require nmake - they're certainly more likely to
work with nmake.

> Here are my programs:
> A make implementation: Dmake from Perl
> Perl 5 with core modules: ActivePerl 5.22.4.2205 with text::template
> installed
> ANSI C Compiler: MinGW from Perl
> A development environment in the form of in the form of development
> libraries and C header files: (I'm guessing) Visual Studio 2017 (I
> can't use Nmake with it for some reason)
> Netwide Assembler: NASM 2.13.03
> Operating system: Windows 10 x64

I'd find out what's stopping nmake working and fix it; then try with
NASM on the path, configure with VC-WIN64A, and build with nmake.

Regards,
                           jjf

--
J. J. Farrell