[openssl-users] EVP AES Wrap

Luís Martins luis.pinto.martins at gmail.com
Wed May 16 17:55:57 UTC 2018

Hi,

    I'm trying to use the EVP AES wrap implementations from openssl (e.g.
EVP_aes_128/192/256_wrap()) but I'm getting the following error in
EVP_EncryptInit_ex() f:
    error:0607B0AA:digital envelope routines:EVP_CipherInit_ex:wrap mode
not allowed
    I've search the documentation for examples or guidance but I couldn't
find anything related to this.
    Any experienced the same issue ?

    My pseudo code is:

        EVP_CIPHER_CTX ctx;
        EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init(&ctx);
        if (EVP_EncryptInit_ex(&ctx, EVP_aes_128_wrap(), 0,
keyEncriptionKey, iv) != 1)
             // process error
        if ( EVP_EncryptUpdate(&ctx, bufferOut, &processedSize, plaintext,
plaintextSize) != 1)
             // process error
        if (EVP_EncryptFinal_ex(&ctx, bufferOut + processedSize, &tmpSize)
!= 1)
             // process error
        EVP_CIPHER_CTX_cleanup(&ctx);

Regards,