[openssl-users] Receive throttling on SSL sockets

Alex H alexhultman at gmail.com
Fri May 18 23:20:42 UTC 2018

How do you properly implement receive throttling on SSL sockets without
hindering writing?

As opposed to raw TCP sockets, an SSL socket cannot be receive-throttled
simply by stop polling for readable events on the underlying raw TCP
socket. SSL_write still could require reading of data so simply stop
polling for readable would potentially hinder writing of data which is not
okay.

Is there any such receive-throttling functionality in the SSL protocol
itself? I don't see how SSL_peek would solve the issue since I would still
be buffering (potentially uncontrolled amount of) data in a BIO.

Even if I would _only_ enable readable polling when _absolutely needed_ as
per SSL_write error, I still cannot guarantee not reading a chunk of data
(which I would then need to buffer up in a BIO since the application is not
expecting it).

How are we supposed to solve this issue without potentially building up
backpressure?

Thanks