[openssl-users] Receive throttling on SSL sockets

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Sun May 20 15:23:19 UTC 2018

I don't believe it did. It concluded that the server can't impose flow control by itself.

> You simply cannot implement proper flow control since doing so would potentially throttle writes, not just reads. You
> need a TLS data window to do it properly.

If the client and server both participate in flow control - that is, if they implement the window announcements and output throttling at the application level - then there's no need to do it in TLS.

A cooperating client and server can implement any sort of traffic shaping they want.

What's not possible in TLS is throttling implemented solely by one side, without cooperation from the peer application.

In any case, this has drifted far afield from the purpose of openssl-users. I pesonally don't think flow control should be part of TLS, but I don't care strongly enough to, for example, argue against it on the IETF TLS mailing list.

Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus