[openssl-users] database openssl

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Tue May 29 11:12:57 UTC 2018

On 29/05/2018 10:43, Jan Just Keijser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 29/05/18 09:47, Sampei wrote:
>> I'm using Linux server to create temporary CA and I know openssl
>> maintains a text database of issued certificates and their status.
>> Now I need to migrate this server to another one, so I ask myself how
>> can I export this db.
>> thanks
>>

> the openssl CA "database" usually consists of two files. The location
> of these files is specified in the openssl.cnf file. The files are
>   serial   - containing the last issued serial number
>   index.txt  - containing the list of all issued, expired and revoked
> certificates.
>
> As I said, the location of these files is depending on how you set up
> your temporary CA.

Additionally, the openssl ca command stores the complete value of each
issued certificate in a subdirectory specified in openssl.cnf, this
may be needed/useful when importing to other CA software.

Also note that unless a special setting is included (I forget where),
the openssl ca database will be in a different (older) format that
only remembers the most recently issued certificate for a given
subject distinguished name.

Enjoy

Jakob