[openssl-users] File permissions on keys, csr, and certificates

Peter Magnusson blaufish.public.email at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:40:19 UTC 2018

root:root, chmod 400. And ideally your Root CA files should not be
hosted on your web server, otherwise a server compromise also
compromises your root authority.

https://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/1/wiki/docs_ssl
Permissions
Be careful to keep your .pem file private! Lighttpd reads all pemfiles
at startup, before dropping privileges. It is therefore best to make
the pem file owned by root and readable by root only:
$ chown root:root /etc/lighttpd/ssl/example.org.pem
$ chmod 400 /etc/lighttpd/ssl/example.org.pem